Next time you’re in your backyard, why not try out some of these yoga moves in your Mississippi swimming pool?
One of the hottest fitness crazes to hit gyms across the nation is swimming pool yoga. The reason: you burn more calories and get more resistance while taking the pressure off of your bones, muscles and joints. The best part is, if you have a pool in your backyard, then you can start enjoying these benefits today.
The Water Cobra
What’s great about performing this yoga move in the water is that you can stretch further than you would be able to with traditional yoga since there’s no floor in front of you. To do this move:
- Stand 2 feet or so away from the wall of the pool.
- Place both your forearms and your hands against the wall, wrapping your fingers around the rim of the pool.
- Without moving your feet, look up, lean back and increase the natural curve in your back so that your abs are stretched out.
- Rise up so that you are on your toes, and hold for five breaths.
The Water Stork
- While standing, lift up your right leg so that it is straight yet with the knee bent. Your toes should stay pointed.
- With your left heel pressed into the pool’s floor, reach forward towards the big toe on your right foot with your right hand. Slowly straighten out your right leg so that your entire leg is parallel to the bottom of the pool, and push your foot against your fingers for a deeper stretch. Hold this for a few breaths.
- Switch to your left leg, repeating the procedure above.
The Water Backbend
The natural buoyancy of the water makes performing the backbend in the pool easier than on land. The result: you’ll get a better stretch through your chest and your abs. Here’s how you can perform this move:
- Position yourself 2 to 3 feet away from the wall of the pool, facing away from the wall.
- Look up and slowly arch your back backwards. Raise your arms and reach out behind you.
- Grab the wall and breath, making sure to hold the stretch.
- Shuffle your feet backwards a few inches and then hold for a few breaths.
– – –
Aqua Pool Co. is the largest pool and spa supply store on the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast! Our Gulfport showroom features 12 above ground pools, hot tubs, and spas and our selection of pool and spa chemicals is second to none. We also offer pool equipment, free water testing and water chemistry consulting to ensure your pool, spa and/or hot tub is safe. Check out our vast selection pool toys and games, so the fun never stops. Don’t let our large pool store fool you! Aqua Pool Co. is family-owned and operated, and every member of our staff is here to serve you with the personal customer service you deserve. Give us a call at (228) 832-9909 or come by and see us at 11296 Lorraine Rd., Gulfport, MS 39503 today!