Summer is finally here, and the backyards of pool owners are filled with the laughing, splashing and sounds of sheer delight that their pool brings. Undoubtedly your pool is getting a lot more action these days than during those cooler months, so if you’re wondering how to maintain a pool in the summer, we have your answers. The first step for how to maintain a pool:
Check The Pool Water Chemistry Often
During the winter months when your pool is getting a lot less traction, you can get away with checking the pool water chemistry once a week. But during the summer months, checking the pool at least two to three times a week is a good idea. Even if the pool hasn’t gotten much use, the stronger UV rays from the sun can speed up the growth of nasty bacteria and algae.
- pH Levels: Make sure that the pH of the pool remains anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8, with anywhere around 7.4 being the most ideal.
- Total Alkalinity: Maintain pool water alkalinity between 80-140 ppm
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS): This as well as calcium should be checked every 6 months
How to Clean a Pool During the Summer
Just as you’ll be checking that pool water chemistry more often, it’s a good idea to perform daily checks of the pool to keep it clean. If the pool water chemistry is balanced, then you’ll only need to do quick cleaning duties every few days, such as:
- Checking and cleaning the skimmer baskets as necessary
- Cleaning out your pump’s hair or lint pump
- Check you water levels at least once a month, but check it more frequently if you have some major splashers playing in the pool or are having a particularly hot month (this can increase water evaporation)
As a final tip, remember that with increased usage that the filter will also likely need to be run more frequently. Generally speaking, 6 hours is the minimum, but for greater accuracy, you can calculate how long it takes for your pool to filter all of the water of the pool 2-3 times a day.
Aqua Pool Co. is the largest pool and spa supply store on the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast! Our Gulfport showroom features 12 above ground pools, hot tubs, and spas, and our selection of pool and spa chemicals is second to none. We also offer pool equipment, free water testing and water chemistry consulting to ensure your pool, spa and/or hot tub is safe. Check out our vast selection of pool toys and games so the fun never stops. Don’t let our large pool store fool you! Aqua Pool Co. is family-owned and operated, and every member of our staff is here to serve you with the personal customer service you deserve. Give us a call at (228) 832-9909 or come by and see us at 11296 Lorraine Rd., Gulfport, MS 39503 today!