July is National Ice Cream Month and we’ve gathered some of the best ideas out on the web to help you make it a fun one! Did you know that the US consumes an average of 48 pints of ice cream per person every year?! That’s a world record! You may expect the hotter cities in the south to be the biggest national ice cream consumers, but in 2003 Portland, Oregon bought the most ice cream per person out of all American cities.
Here’s some other fun ice cream facts:
- National Ice Cream Month was put into place in 1984 by President Reagan. He also designated the third Sunday of July to be National Ice Cream Day!
- It’s believed that the first ice cream cone was invented during the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis when an ice cream vendor ran out of dishes. In a desperate attempt to keep up with the demand, he teamed up with a waffle maker, rolling the waffles into an edible, cone shaped dish.
- Americans may be the biggest ice cream producers and consumers worldwide, but it was actually the French who made it available to the general population in 1660. Custard based ice cream was enjoyed almost exclusively by Europeans for 40 years, before finally making its way to our shores in 1700.
- The average dairy cow will produce enough milk in her lifetime to make 9000 gallons of ice cream!
- According to national statistics, more ice cream is sold on Sunday than any other day of the week.
- It takes approximately 50 licks to consume one scoop of ice cream. Don’t believe us? Host an ice cream licking competition today with your kids!
- Bassetts Ice Cream Company in Philadelphia holds the title of “Oldest American Ice Cream Company.” They’ve been creating their delicious frozen treats since 1861.
Fun Ways to Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
Whether you host a party or make your own ice cream with the kids, there are loads of creative ways to enjoy National Ice Cream Month. Here are a few fun ice cream ideas from Living Locurto, including fun ice cream sandwich pops, mini banana split bites, sundae cupcakes.
If you’re feeling like having a fun foodie time, you can try out this cute idea from Style Me Pretty Living for mason jar ice cream. It’s an easy project to do with the kids at your next pool party or backyard bash.
Glass mason jars
Small zip-lock plastic bags
Half & half individual packets
Sugar & Vanilla powder
1) Pour 1 cup rock salt into the bottom of each jar
3) Combine the bag of powder and 8 of the half and half packets in each jar
4)Have guests add ice to the jar (outside of the bag) and shake the jar
5) Enjoy some delicious homemade ice cream!
– – –
Aqua Pool Co. is the largest pool and spa supply store on the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast! Our Gulfport showroom features 12 above ground pools, hot tubs, and spas and our selection of pool and spa chemicals is second to none. We also offer pool equipment, free water testing and water chemistry consulting to ensure your pool, spa and/or hot tub is safe. Check out our vast selection pool toys and games, so the fun never stops. Don’t let our large pool store fool you! Aqua Pool Co. is family-owned and operated, and every member of our staff is here to serve you with the personal customer service you deserve. Give us a call at (228) 832-9909 or come by and see us at 11296 Lorraine Rd., Gulfport, MS 39503 today!